Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Tech's First Impression of Windows 7

Part 1 of a series

Yesterday I downloaded the official Microsoft beta release of its new operating system -- called Windows 7. (Technically, for those of you i7logo nterested in this sort of thing, it is "Build 7000".) I opted to install the 32-bit version, as I think this will remain the "standard" and most common.
I installed a "clean install", though I could have "upgraded" an existing Vista install (I recommend 'clean install' as a Rule Of Thumb).

Microsoft is calling Windows 7 a whole new OS, and are expecting it to replace replace Vista.. in the same way that Vista is replacing Windows XP. I can tell you that it is not a whole new operating system. I can also tell you that it does not give us the new file system (WinFS) that was originally promised as one of the "three pillars of Vista".

The install itself: My "clean" install on a freshly formatted volume took just over half an hour, and involved at least two automated reboots. (It may have been three.. but I got up and walked away for a few minutes. I have performed countless Windows installs - literally - and watching one more isn't my idea of a "good time".)

Once I clicked "go", I only had to answer three screens-- my time/location, a computer name/user name/passwords (recommended), and did I want to set up a sharing network "HomeGroup"? That last, because it's new and still unfamiliar, I chose "Not now. Ask me again later."

My experience matched that of other reviewers: it was by far the fastest, smoothest, easiest Windows installation I've ever had. That this is a beta release makes this fact all the more remarkable.

Plus number one.

No device driver issues: I installed Windows 7 on a recent-vintage machine (it came with Vista Home Premium) and I had to install zero, zip, nada, device drivers -- and this is a beta! Every device worked out of the gate, so clearly Vista device drivers work well on Windows 7.

Microsoft claims Windows 7 is the most 'backwards compatible' OS yet (I guess, maybe they learned from Vista's release?) and I believe them. A beta.. and no device driver installs??? Amazing.
As a test, I connected to a rather ancient HP DeskJet 970Cse printer over my LAN. Windows 7 found the printer and installed it it with one "Yes" click.

Plus number two.

Once installed: As a Vista user, the change in Vista 7's GUI (graphical user "interface") was not that startling to me.. in fact, aside from the desktop and QuickLaunch icons being larger.. and a change to the System Tray/"Notification Area".. it is Vista. The QuickLaunch now has (even more) shades of Macintosh OS X's "Dock".
Yes, it looks more "modern" (and makes XP look absolutely archaic), but is very, very Vista.

One nice change.. I noticed rather quickly that 7 has a Desktop slideshow feature (found because the default - plain, w/a Chinese fighting fish in the center - was quite drab after Vista's spectacular nature images), and your Desktop can alternate images very much like your screensaver can in older versions of Windows (see Show off your photos with a screensaver slideshow).

The Start button, menus, icons, etc. are (basically) all the same. With the exception of the new networking and media sharing features, this is a zero learning curve change for Vista users, and a very modest one for XP users. If you use Windows, you can use 7, and you won't have to take a night class or read a For Dummies book to do it.

Plus number three.

Speaking of the Start button.. 
* In Windows 7, Windows Mail, Windows Calendar, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Movie Maker, and Windows Contacts are part of Windows Live Essentials.
* Windows 7 removes InkBall and adds online versions of Spades, Backgammon and Checkers.
* It comes with IE 8.
* Programs and applets - like Paint - have been updated, enhanced, and now sport the Microsoft "Ribbon".. which was introduced in Office 2007.
ms_ribbon

Well, I have only been using Windows 7 for a few hours.. and I will be writing more in this series.. so I'll stop here for now. So far, I have installed both Call of Duty 5 and the original Call of Duty (patched to 1.4) and played a few rounds of each.
Yup.
They're a tad faster than on Vista.

Plus number four...

Copyright 2007-9 © Tech Paul. All rights reserved.jaanix post to jaanix
Share this post :

No comments: