Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Skype says I'm infected with malware...

Yesterday a "chat" window (Skype) opened on my machine, and presented me with a dire warning from someone named "Software Update". It said that "WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION" and, it provided me with a solution.
SkypePhish

Please, folks, tell me you have spotted this for what it is.

Please tell me that you knew --instantly-- that this is a cybercrime attempt.. that it is Phraud-ulent.

Please tell me that you know what will happen if the link provided in this message is clicked; and, please, please, please tell me you would never click the link.

Just in case you aren't sure...
* "Software Update" doesn't exist.
* "www.onlinemonitor.info" is not registered in ARIN (the registry of Internet addresses)
* clicking the link will allow scripts to run and/or take you to a poisoned Website which will install malware on your machine.. or/and, it may take you to a site that will sell you a rogue antispyware program (please read my article, Is that antispyware program really spyware).. all of this so that the hacker can take control of your machine.
* Microsoft DOES NOT alert you via Instant Messaging. No legitimate company does.

This is a classic example of a hacker's attempt to get you to click their link. Please point your less-savvy friends and family to this article and educate them to the dangers of spam (unsolicited) messages: show them, and tell them--
NEVER CLICK THE LINK.

Today's free link: I have assembled on my Website a collection of links to the best free anti-malware programs to help you prevent infection.. and clean up if you've been infected. To see them, click here.

Copyright 2007-8 Tech Paul. All rights reserved.jaanix post to jaanix

No comments: