Monday, December 8, 2008

Stop Spam Calls - National Do Not Call List

As I mentioned in Spam, spam, spam, spam, spammitty spam…, I do not like spam. I do not like it in my e-mail. I do not like it for breakfast. And I especially don't like it on my telephone.

Psychologically, the telephone is different than my Inbox. It is more important, and usually more urgent.
I am not going to drop whatever I'm doing and run to my computer if I hear a "ding. You've got mail!" But I will do so for the phone.

So, a long time ago now, I registered my phone number(s) on the National Do Not Call List.

By doing so, supposedly, telemarketers would be barred from calling me, and if they broke the Law, I could simply report them and they would be prosecuted (sorry; probably just fined. I know you were thinking Public Flogging). More information on what the service, and law, does and does not do, is available here.

Wonderfully, the suppers interrupted by real live salespeople has been greatly reduced. Regrettably, I had to use the word "supposedly", because I still occasionally get spam (recorded) phone calls-- at least one a week from "Daisy" at some carpet cleaners, some "urgent" call about my credit card (in both a male and female voice), and one that tells me my car's warranty is about to expire.

Fortunately, I have only experienced "annoyance" calls, and no really dangerous con artists are going after me or my getting-up-in-years parents (I registered their numbers as well).
I cannot - with certainty- say if this is directly attributable to the No Call List. But, I can't say it isn't, either.

Tip of the day: If you have not already done so, click the link (above) and get your (and maybe, your loved one's) phone number(s) on the list. It is an easy two-step process.
1) Enter up to three numbers on the form, and provide a valid e-mail address. (If you have more than 3, revisit the page.)
2) Copy the URL link in the e-mail you receive from Register@DoNotCall.gov, and paste it into your browser's address bar.
do_not_call

Today's free link: a quite excellent resource page, Do-it-yourself: Stop junk mail, email and phone calls - A free guide to reducing unwanted or intrusive advertising

Copyright 2007-8 © Tech Paul. All rights reserved.jaanix post to jaanix

No comments: