Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Digital cameras and you

Not too long ago, I mentioned my friend who was preparing to travel; and told you that for the first time he was going to leave behind his 35mm (film) camera gear, and take only a digital camera (see Mondays: love 'em or leave 'em). For the first time, he was going to leave at home his lenses, flash unit, filters, different speed/type film rolls, etc., and carry a single unit.. with a couple of spare memory chips.

I also mentioned that he is the type of fella who does extensive research before making a purchase, like a camera, and I can tell you he bought a pretty fancy digital camera for his trip.. and we're not talking about a "pocket camera". But, we're not talking about an SLR (single-lens reflex) and a whole bunch of accessories, either. I won't name a specific camera here, but I will say that his choice had 12x zoom, electronic image stabilization, and a nice, large, LCD viewer. When I held it in my hand, I was pleasantly surprised by its comfort and light weight.

No sooner had my friend returned from his travels abroad, then he was at my door with his memory chips containing his pictures, in hand. He knows about my previous life as a professional retouch artist, and he wanted my help with culling, cropping, and color-balancing (etc.), and burning the 'good ones' to a slide show on a CD.

And so I got a very good look at his "product", and vicariously traveled abroad with him as he narrated the history of each and every shot.. much like a new father describes the wondrous attributes of his first-born. There were several things that impressed us:

I, being an old hand at professional photography, was impressed by the image quality this digital camera produced. No. The pictures weren't Hasseleblad-quality, but the resolution, color depth and saturation, and depth of field were all remarkably good.. even when enlarged to fill my 20" monitor. All of my color "balancing" tweaks were quite optional, and I only did two at that.

He, being new to digital imaging, was blown away by how easily and quickly he could edit the shots, put them into the order he wanted, and create a portable slide show he could carry on a thumb drive (I haven't yet told him about online "albums".. he was too busy trying to absorb the wonders of Photoshop) or CD. SlideProjector
He had a finished, quality slide show to present to his friends and family in a matter of a few hours -- he was used to it taking weeks to assemble, and for him to have to carry around a projector and carousel trays.

Yes.. technology is changing everything. I can no longer be a film-camera snob, and badmouth digital cameras as being inherently inferior. My friend did not break the bank buying his camera, and his choice was roughly in the low end of the middle-grade of digital cameras, if you include SLR's, and on the higher end of the scale if you limit your choices to point-and-shoot's. (He spent under $500, including several extra high-capacity Flash Memory chips.)

And, as this tale illustrates, there's no comparison in the speed and convenience of digital imaging.

Copyright 2007-8 © Tech Paul. All rights reserved.jaanix post to jaanix

Share this post :

No comments: