Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The WWDC and MobileMe

For the sake of ratings, I simply must write something about the hot topic on the Web right now-- a topic so hot (how hot is it?) that the amount of "buzz" has caused the social networking/blogging site Twitter to crash under the burden.
That topic is Apple's WWDC (aka "Stevenotes"*).

The Worldwide Developer Conference has become (one of) the venues where Apple offers sneak peek (preview) at new products and technologies... A glimpse at what the immediate future holds.
(Personally, I find such teases annoying, but the iFanatics feel different, I guess.)

For instance, this year, we were told about OS 10.6 (aka "Snow Leopard").. which won't offer any new features and we might see it in a year. WooHoo!!! Yay!!! I mean.. yawn.
And we're told about a new version (2.0) of the iPhone's OS, which will affect every person on the planet. Not.

Can you tell? Even though this event is being held right up the road, and I am a World Renown Tech Journalist, I made no effort to attend, and am too experienced to get wow!-ed by the hype. I also confess, I am not a iPerson/iFanatic.

Yet, there are some interesting and relevant items to note: Namely, Apple's investment in bringing to us the "wonders" of cloud computing with MobileMe and the 20GB iDisk (and they're hoping.. the 3G iPhone). This video explains--

This $99/year service will work "cross platform" (Windows/Mac/Linux) and across devices.

Here we really are looking at "Web 2.0", and the future of computing. People, before too long, will be storing their whole lives and all their personal information on the Internet. So that we can share it.
Has anyone considered the security implications?

I'm an old dinosaur, and I'm a curmudgeon to boot.. I think there already is too much personal information available about us on the Web, and I'm not about to go putting my address book and calendar (and.. my accounting program?) there.
But those of the Look At Me Generation will probably be clamoring for it.

* A reference to the fact that the keynote address is usually given by Apple founder Steve Jobs.

Copyright 2007-8 Tech Paul. All rights reserved.jaanix post to jaanix

No comments: