Monday, June 30, 2008

View PowerPoint presentations without Office

I was reminded of this "quick tip" topic while I was doing research for an upcoming Tech--for Everyone article, and the information I wanted to read was contained in a PowerPoint slideshow (aka "presentation") archive, available online.. a ".ppt" file.

Normally, this is no problem: you click on the "view" hyperlink; are asked if you want to "Open" or "Save" the file (since all I wanted to do was read it, I chose "open"). Here is where I was reminded that the machine I was surfing on was new and did not have Office installed -- "Windows cannot open this file:"

You may have seen a window like this in your computer career...

error.JPG (My article on what to do to resolve this can be read here.)

Fortunately, a quick visit to the Microsoft Download Center is all that's required to enable my machine to view PowerPoint Presentations (and cool slides of airshows).

Tip of the day/Today's free link: If you are not using the Microsoft Office suite of programs, download and install the free PowerPoint Viewer 2007.

Copyright 2007-8 © Tech Paul. All rights reserved.jaanix post to jaanix

No comments: