Monday, November 10, 2008

How can I open a ".odt" ?

Q: Paul, How can I open a ".odt" ?

A: As I discussed in this article, Cannot open attachment…help!, when you run across a file that Windows does not recognize, and doesn't know how to open, it is due to the fact that some program was used to create the file that you don't have.

In this case that program was OpenWriter-- the word processor in the free OpenOffice Suite.

Basically, when this happens, you have three options:
* Ask your sender to resend the file, only this time 'Save As' it to a more common file type. (such as .doc, or .rtf, or even .txt)
* Install the program on your machine yourself.
* Look for "viewer", or "converter" tool.

I like the first choice myself (and I'm not always so polite in my phrasing), but most of you will probably prefer the third. (This comes up at least once a week for PowerPoint slideshows!)

A free document viewer for all common word processing formats can be found here.

A free file type converter (all types of 'media') can be found here.

.. and for the 600,000th time.. the PowerPoint Viewer is here.

[note: when you come across a 'dot xyz' that you've never heard of before and have no idea what might of created it.. go to FILExt.com. There you will be able to look it up.]

Copyright 2007-8 © Tech Paul. All rights reserved.jaanix post to jaanix
Share this post :

No comments: