Friday, November 21, 2008

Webmail Link Protection | Survey Results

One of the greatest dangers on the Internet today is links sent in e-mail -- called "embedded links". A click on a link sent by a cyber-criminal can infect your machine, direct you to a bogus website which infects your machine and/or asks you to enter your private information (ID Theft) in a scheme known as "phishing".
It is reported that cyber-criminals duped 9 million Americans last year (we're so trusting and.. naive.).

I have advised my readers, never click the link. But .. people still do. So, I advise enabling a phishing filter. Currently, it is my humble opinion that the free tool from Web Of Trust (WOT) is the simplest to understand and easiest to use.

Today, the good folks at WOT alerted me that they are now integrated with Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, and Hotmail-- better protection for us. Here's a short video showing how it works.

And if video is not your thing, Fellow blogger Bill Mullins has an excellent write up on the new WOT, here.

Change of subject dept: (aka Survey Results!)
Earlier this week I posted a six question survey. I regret to confess that there were "trick" questions in there where more than one answer was 'right'... and nobody (I don't think) picked it up.

For just one example, I asked "What does 11101 equate to?" and the answers 29, eleven thousand one hundred and one, and Zip code were 'correct'. (Albany, NY.) Yes. All three answers.
This being a "tech" site, I'm glad to report that 29 was by far and away the most popular answer. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_numeral_system)

I also asked two questions about Microsoft Word, and I must say the answers I got fit pretty well with my preconceived notions and inherent prejudices.
Only one person though Office 2007 brought "much needed improvements"; the majority said Word was required for work/school (and they would stick w/Word 2003); and that in today's day and age, Word is largely irrelevant.. I think it is the younger set that is picking up on this fact, and the older you are, the more likely you were to reply "must have". I could be wrong, of course. But I think it is the way we were 'trained'. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloatware)

I won't go through the reader responses line for line, but I will say that the general tone showed much more tech-savvy than it would have ten years ago. And it was clear that (my readers, anyway) people are spending a lot of time online.. and making an effort to stay "hip" (to use some California lingo).

That makes sense. Broadband and mobile devices have made the Internet pretty much available to everyone, everywhere, any time. And so I would like to remind you that the Internet is a dangerous place, and not some well-policed Disneyland.

Be alert. Be wary. Be protected. And get WOT.

(Hey, pretty good how I tied that together, eh?)

Copyright 2007-8 © Tech Paul. All rights reserved.jaanix post to jaanix

Share this post :

No comments: