Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Noteworthy Achievement

Folks, I can tell you you that being an Internationally Renown 6 days-a-week Tech Blogger is a challenging, difficult, and often unrewarding endeavor. Coming up with fresh topics, properly doing your research, writing and rewriting, etc. is time consuming, and it's work.
On an ad-free site, such as this one, there is no (read $0.00) financial reward.

So why do people blog? Or, maybe a better question is, why does the number of blogs double every six months? Can you earn a living blogging?
(an absolutely wonderful in-depth article looking at these questions can be found here, http://alexiskold.wordpress.com/2007/11/15/who-is-blogging-and-why/ {yes, it's a bit dated, but still accurate.})

The fact is: something like 90% of all blogs fail (or, "go inactive") within just a few months. Or sooner.

One thing that that keeps me going is the support I've received from fellow bloggers.. and another is stats.
(http://techpaul.wordpress.com/2008/03/29/nobody-reads-me-on-saturdays/)

My Website statistics show me all kinds of interesting things about you, the "site visitor" -- the most important one (to me, anyway) is how many of you are there?
If I went to all this work and trouble, wrote 400 How-To's, and only six people read them (total)... well, even a dim bulb like me would figure out that I could spend my time more wisely.

Which brings me to today's title:
There are some rewards to being a member of the Tech Blogger community, and one closest to my heart is the support I've received and friendships I have made since starting Tech--for Everyone.

And so I would like to point your attention to a man whose Tech Blog Bill_Mullins was the very first one I put on my "Blogroll", and ask you indulge me while I acknowledge what to me is a remarkable achievement.

Bill Mullins launched his Website, titled, Bill Mullins’ Weblog - Tech Thoughts -- Security and System Tools and Tips. Software Reviews, News, Views, Downloads and Links on January 1st of this year. It has not quite reached its first 'birthday'.

Since I discovered his site, I have referred my readers to several of his articles, and generally recommended it every chance I had-- but most especially when he would share his security expertise with his readers, and/or warn of a new cyber-crime threat.
I consider his site an invaluable resource, and wish every web surfer would read it (and follow his advice).

Today, when I looked at his site, I noticed that his StatCounter showed over 500,000 visits. Wow! Remember when I said 90%+ fail within weeks? Well, there's also another factor... most blog viewers land on a handful of "popular sites".. and bloggers like me get the crumbs.
500,000 readers in less than a year is remarkable!

So I invite you to join me in congratulating Mr. Mullins on a job well-done, and suggest to you that you click here and take a look-see at his site if you haven't done so yet.

PS-- No. Mr. Mullins did not pay me to write this (and is probable unaware that I have). Remember? $0.00?

Copyright 2007-8 © Tech Paul. All rights reserved.jaanix post to jaanix
Share this post :

No comments: